I went ahead and adopted a bug (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1091852) as suggested in order to
prove that I have a working build environment.

I commented the following conclusions on the bug log:

After thorough investigation into the issue, and testing with my own
broadcasting servers, I have concluded that more information about this
specific case is needed.

In particular, I believe this is not so much an issue with the Mixxx
implementation of server connection. For instance, whilst testing I also
ran into the same error when using localhost to connect to the server. Once
I verified that the icecast server was up and running, I checked the other
parameters. The issue for me was using the incorrect login/password. Not
sure if this is the same for the OP, but I was entering my own admin
login/password, as opposed to the specific 'sources' login/password that is
set in icecast.xml. Once that was cleared up I was able to broadcast
without a problem.

Unfortunately my conclusions may be insufficient to prove that I have a
working build environment. I am working on implementing details into my
proposal that may better verify that I do. I will be posting a draft
proposal soon and welcome feedback.

Thank you,

*Victor J Weeks*
BS in Psychology