You need to remember the base version of your commits to reapply them without introducing unresolvable conflicts. Git even supports rebasing a range of commits "onto" a new root commit. Your personal customizations should always stay/land on top of the commit history. Creating a backup branch before starting with such a branch reconstruction task is not a bad idea ;)

I rebase the WriteAudioTags branch (PR #728) frequently on the current master. It might serve you as a starting point to reduce the number of required merge operations. This branch is also the base for most of my contributions, which I need to backport on master before publishing a PR.

Kind regards, Uwe