On Sunday, Jan 19, 2003, at 13:47 Europe/London, Bernhard Praschinger wrote:

Hallo

The video is encoded by the broadcaster, not me. I have
a digital TV receiver connected to a PC which has software
which can record the digital TV MPEG2 stream to its hard
disk. With a quick demux/remux the recordings can be put onto
So you have a signal from a digital satelite ?
Yes, well almost. Here in the UK we have digital terrestrial
TV as well as digital satellite. The transport streams are still
basically the same, complying to DVB. I have a box which
is basically a domestic receiver for a TV but it has a USB
port and PVR software. See the DEC2000-t at
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk if interested.

For me there is no problem with the "edit" being done on GOP
boundaries (as I guess happens with the existing segmentation
facility), I don't need frame-accurate editing. All I am looking to
do is to archive my favourite programmes to DVD instead of
VHS, nothing any more sophisticated, so no intelligent mid-GOP
sequence start is required.
Then you might be interrested in gopchop:
http://outflux.net/unix/software/GOPchop/

As far I know the programm works well if you have a SW player. It works
not good with HW-devices.
Thanks very much, I will try that.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter