Hi Michael,

> That doesn't mean everything is necessarily all right now.
> While I don't see the results on CD yet, I now tried with mpeg2enc -z b
> and -z t and both results seem to be identical (again...). But it
> doesn't look good, the edges of the flat areas (anime) is strangely
> distorted. I wonder if it will show up in the player.
>
> Doesn't it matter if I use -z b or -z t?

All this flag does is set a single bit in the MPEG header that tells the
*decoder* what order to decode the fields in.   For a software decoder
displaying on a progressive display like a Computer monitor *the flag can
have no effect*: both fields are always displayed together.

To check if field order is wrong you have to use an interlaced display.  With
practice you *can* usually tell something is wrong even on a progressive
display but thats not easy to explain in text form.

For Movies transmitted in PAL it is easy: simply look to see if
at cuts between scenes you get a frame with one field from one scene
and the other from the other.

        Andrew