Hi Al,

> So the difference you see, is:
> -q -4 2 -2 3
>
> I use different -q values with different sources. But does it make
> sense to use  -4 2 -2 3 for encoding DVDs from dv-camera-sources?

The -4 and -2 flags just control how exhaustively the motion estimator
searches for good motion compensation.  Basically, the lower the number
the fewer unlikely Candidates are discarded without detailed examination.

The gains in compression from cranking -4 and -2 right down are pretty
marginal for most material.   More a case of "I don't care if it compresses
overnight, so which not".  If encoding time matters to you don't bother
winding them down low.

        Andrew