Hi,

0n 03/10/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:51 Steffen Barszus told me:

> Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2003 01:24 schrieb Andrew Stevens:

> > c) Find some way of generating subtitles and/or translating them from
> > DVD to SVCD.
>
> AFAIK CC subtitles are common on DVDs ?

I don't think so. AFAIK these CC stuff is common in ntsc land only
and not in common use on DVD.

Refer to 1.45 of dvd-faq (http://www.dvddemystified.com):

---cut---
Closed Captions on DVDs are carried in a special data channel of the
MPEG-2 video stream and are automatically sent to the TV. You can't
turn them on or off from the DVD player.
---cut---

You I could switch of all subs I saw on DVD up to now.

You can use the vobsub tools to get the subtitles from the dvd.
There is:

http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/vobtosub-0.2.2.tar.bz2

I am not familiar with :(

The option I used are the sutitle2... programs from the
transcodeSource/contrib/subrip dir.

These are based on mplayer code (mencoder can rip subs, too) but I
had problems to get it work with forced subtitles (IMHO the part you
are basicly interessted in when making dvd backups), see:

http://www.doom9.org/forcedsubs.htm

When youn are lucky these forced subs are in a separate stream on
the disc or sometimes (intro of StarWars) different angles are used
to localize.

However, some DVDs just flag some subtitles as shown on the domm9
page.

Mplayer and subtile2... were lacking in recognising such flags.

Therefore I contacted the author Arne Driescher and he send a patch
to the mplayer team, so it is at least in mplayers current cvs (use
F to tongle). At my end it works.

At the moment AFAIK tools are missing in linux that can rip only the
forced subs. However, as Arne promised to enclose the code within
one of the next release of his tools it will probably available,
soon.

There were some discussions on dvdauthor ML concerning subs, too. As
I understood them subs will be used for more issues in future e.g.
for menu creation. In spite this will not change the problem with
svcd subs, I just think it may be an task of the authoring program
to insert subs, isn't it?

Anyhow, the .idx files you receive when riping subs with the
subtitle2... tools for e.g. vobsub is:

#### header specifying size and colors [1]
timestamp: 00:00:33:133, filepos: 000000000

so at least the timestamp is there.

Just my 0.02.

[1] In addition to your, Andrew, points a,b,c I am afraid that more
    topics have to be solved arising from color, size and where to
    place the subs.

--
bye maik