I've started my project to bulk encode various mjpeg files I have around, and
want to experiment a bit with mencoder in the process.

The thing is that I can't seem to find any combination of tools that will
reliably convert edit lists to a stream suitable for mencoder, i.e. with both
audio and video combined.

cat *.avi|mencoder <options> -

works fine, but then I need precut avi files, not an edit list.

I couldn't find any way to make lavtrans output to stdout, which leaves out
piping its output to mencoder.

lavtrans fifo'ed to mencoder would work fine for converting the clip list to a
stream, if it wasn't for avilib complaining about too large files being
written. (As if that would be a problem in this particular case.)

lavtrans converting the edit list to a couple of files, and then pipe those
into mencoder through cat would also work, if lavtrans listened to the %d
pattern for output files.

I haven't looked through the source yet, but shouldn't at least that last
alternative be possible? Is there a bug in my 1.6.90 from some time back, or
is lavtrans actually designed not to be able to output multiple avi files?

/Sam