On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Amartyo Banerjee wrote:

> I had downloaded mjpegtools from cvs on Oct 10, 2003. I also downloaded libquicktime
> from cvs on
> the same date.
> Both had built fine, and mjpegtools was built with quicktime support.

        Ah, very good - it is nice to hear from someone who had no trouble
        building the cvs versions of mjpegtools and libquicktime.

> Anyway, I worked around this issue by modifying lav_io.c as follows:

> --- untars/videorelated/cvsmjpeg/mjpeg_play/lavtools/lav_io.c~  2003-09-07
> 12:31:08.000000000
> +0300
>           remove(filename);
>
> -         lav_fd->qt_fd = quicktime_open(filename, 1, 1);
> +         lav_fd->qt_fd = quicktime_open(filename, 0, 1);
>           if(!lav_fd->qt_fd) { free(lav_fd); return 0; }
>           quicktime_set_video(lav_fd->qt_fd, 1, width, height, fps,
>                               (interlaced ? QUICKTIME_MJPA : QUICKTIME_JPEG));
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I figured that in lav_open_output_file(), there is no need to open the
> file 'filename' for reading. Anyway, this solved my problem, and now I can

        True.   If the file does not exist it makes no sense to open it
        for reading.  It also, in this case (as you say), is not necessary
        to open for reading when creating an output file.

> create quicktime files with yav2lav.
>
> Is this a known issue that I have managed to rediscover. Is it recommended

        It is the first time the bug has been reported.   Thanks for the
        fix/workaround.

> to use a particular version of libquicktime ? Or should it not be used and
> only quicktime4linux should be used.

        quicktime4linux is NOT supported.    The released version of
        libquicktime should be fine but the cvs version is recommended.

> Sorry if I have posted to the wrong list or reposted an older problem.

        This is a good place to report the problem.   Another good place
        would be the libquicktime mailing list.

        The workaround looks fine to me - I've updated CVS but it will be
        24 hours (or more) before anonymous cvs will see the change.