Am Mittwoch, 3. März 2004 06:18 schrieb Steven M. Schultz:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, George Kola wrote:
> >   I would like to try Distributed encoding of DV to MPEG1,2 &4 using some
> > 10+ machines. I realize that I need some utility to split the DV, encode
> > the pieces and finally merge them together. Does anybody know of any
> > utilites to accomplish that ?. Are there any pitfalls in doing that or
> > any problems that I may run-into ?.
>
>       The obvious pit you will fall into is the one that many folks have
>       encountered:  you can't simply "cat" .m2v, .m1v or .m4v files together
>       to join the independently encoded parts.

I don't know for m2v, m1v , m4v , but for mpeg that shouldn't really be a
problem. If cat does not work, use tools like ds_X, replex or pvastrumento. I
use ds_X regulary and don't have real problems. My material are vdr
recordings, encoded mpeg's and so on, but that should not really matter. for
mpeg4  avidemux or mencoder could be a solution. ds_X can demux, remux, cut
and join mpeg1/2.

>       Splitting the DV data is not the hard part - you could generate .smil
>       files with the appropriate frame ranges.   It's the joining back
>       together of the MPEG output files that's going to be very difficult
>       (I don't know of any tools to do that).
>
>       I have several machines at home and rather than trying to parallelize
>       individual encoding jobs I run multiple complete encodings.   It's
>       the same effect - speeding up 1 encoding by a factor of 2 or doing
>       2 encodings at a time ;)

I remember that there was a project to parallelize transcode. It has included
a livecd to make fast and easy a cluster of encoding nodes. I don't remember
though if it is alive and how it was called, it may be one or two years back
when i read about it.

HTH

Steffen