On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 20:20, Selva Nair wrote:

> Although these messages suggest problem with the sound card driver or
> unusual clock drifts, it could well be something wrong with this version
> of xine. Tuning some of the xine configuration parameters such as
> audio.av_sync_method and others in the .xine/config file may help, but I
> would first check with the xine mailing list.

I took the problem to the xine mailing list, and after making the file
available for download I got this reply:
<quote>
The problem is caused by the video PTS values.
xine tries to predict what the correct PTS value is.
Then some video frames might have PTS values on them, and if these
differ from the predicted PTS, xine resets the buffers and jumps to the
new PTS value. xine lets the video PTS values dominate. Now, if the
Audio PTS values are correct, but the video PTS values are wrong, xine
will correct itself to the video, and this will result in xine thinking
the audio PTS values are wrong.

Extract of running xine with "xine --verbose=3"
audio discontinuity #12, type is 2, disc_off 3904619
waiting for in_discontinuity update #12
fixing sound card drift by 1898 pts
video discontinuity #12, type is 2, disc_off 3904619
fixing sound card drift by 1425 pts
audio discontinuity #13, type is 2, disc_off 4768619
waiting for in_discontinuity update #13
video discontinuity #13, type is 2, disc_off 4768619
audio vpts adjusted to audio vpts
audio jump, diff=75600

So, xine is seeing jumps in audio and video pts values.

Another possible reason for the problems, could be that the audio and
video are not multiplexed close enough together, so even with xine's
large buffers, it cannot fit the audio and video with the same PTS in
the buffer.

You need to redo the PTS values in the stream so that xine does not see
any discontinuities.
</quote>

What are PTS values?  What do I need to read?  I googled, but got a huge
number of replies and very little seemed to have much to do with it.  If you
haven't any additional words it's hard to sort wheat from chaff ;-)

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302