Hallo

William Lum wrote:
The color vanishes when I do a text only reply.

>    Some thought's about what you try to accomplish. Sorry for the longer
>    delay.

>     > I have a Zoran based capture card that Lubuntu doesn't seem to
>     > recognize.  Here is what I have done so far.  I'm new to linux so
>     > please take that into consideration with you instructions.
>     >
>     >  1. lspci | grep Zoran
>    Which card do you actually want to use ? I don't know the type by the
>    output of lspci.
0.6:09.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Zoran Corporation ZR36057PQC Video cutting chipset [11de:6057] (rev 01)

That Chip was used in the Pinnacle/Miro DC10(new and old), and in the Pinnacle/Miro DC30. The Cards use differen IC's for TV encoding a decoding and for the mjpeg encoder:
https://mjpeg.sourceforge.io/driver-zoran/cards.php

>     >  2. sudo dmidecode -t 2
>     >
>     > Is there support for AMD 790FX chipset?
>    Which kernel does the distribution use ? (uname -a)
Linux ubuntu 3.19.0-15-generic
That is a older kernel (~8years old) which is a good thing.

>     > 4. Tried steps
>     >

>https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/media/v4l-drivers/zoran.html#how-do-i-get-this-damn-thing-to-work
>     > Looking for the Zoran Conf file but it's not there
>    If I understand the text correct you should try to load the driver
>    manually, and if that works you create the file so you don't need to do
>    everything manually.
    Can you point me to instructions on where to download the right
driver and then how to load a driver manually?
The correct driver should be shipped with the linux kernel.
Usually the kernel modules are located in /lib/modules/ go to that directory and search for zoran, zr36, saa711, adv717

It should find some files.

>     > 5. Load zr36067.o.
>     > How do I do that?
>    Depending on the kernel your distribution uses it can be that the
>    driver
>    is in the staging area. And not available by default.
>    Newer Kernel like 4.x might have that problem. So if possible use a
>    older distribution using a kernel 3.x or 2.6.x Also the mjpegtools and
>    lavrec need oss, and have no native support for alsa means that
>    recording sound can be tricky.
    tried older kernel (see above) still not working
If there search did find a zoran module try to load the modules as root with a command like this for a first test:
modprobe -n -v --show-depends zoran

And once without the --show-depends, and if the output looks prosing without the -n

If there s no zoran.o, replace the zoran with zr36067, so the command looked like that: modprobe -n -v --show-depends zr36067

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: shadowl...@utanet.at
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard