yet another reason for me to stick to old vw mechanical diesels :)

if there was fuel left over i will just crank them and run them.  if not i
could bring an electrical pump in a bucket of fuel to force some new
fuel/atf into the system, maybe sit for a day if the fuel system is crusty
and then run it.  i brought back a few to life this way including a couple
that had a bad incident with some waste vegetable oil cocktail and were
very crusty inside.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/2ea6ce2f-8b86-42cc-a116-d1ab8c0ac61b%40googlegroups.com.