Dear Clinton,

Clinton Gladstone schrieb:
I was able to successfully compile a small area using ASTER tiles. The
resulting map looked correct.

However, I was not able to compile a larger area. I tried
Rheinland-Pfalz as downloaded from Geofabrik. If I understood the
error message and the coding correctly, this is because
Rheinland-Pfalz crosses the 1x1 ASTER tile boundaries: a map tile
compiled with your patch apparently must lie completely in the 1x1
ASTER boundary.

Is this correct?
yes, corrently the code has this restriction.
If so, this would be an unfortunate limitation. It would require maps
to be split at exactly the 1 degree lat/long boundaries.

Or is this something that can be eventually coded around? I suppose
that this is less of an issue with the 5 degree CGIAR data.
There are several possibilities to "code around" this:
- generate the contours separately for each DEM-tile (easy to implement, but wouldn't be nice at the border) - load DEM data from more than one DEM tile (nice contours, but more complicated to implement)
- write a little utility to paste GeoTIFF files together

This is actually one of the reasons I added support for CGIAR.

Best wishes
Christian