Yeah, merging roads if possible would be great. Even more important
would however be smoothing of curves. i.e. make serpentine corners on
mountain streets more smooth, because otherwise if there is a say 160°
corner, it will add a big time penalty, which in a car is more or less
correct, but on a bicycle overrated.

However, how do you want to do the merging without loosing attributes
(i.e. roadname changes, bridge, etc..), I think this could only work
by running after the main processing, and merging everything identical
if possible.

Otherwise before merging there needs to be a check whether there is
not a rule in the style-file that would change either the name of the
road OR the type (0x??) of a road. If both not changed then merge it.

Nice to see some work on it.