Hi Gerd,

> Most of these ways are areas, but don't have the area=yes tag.
> I am not sure why the "mop up" rule would ignore them when the
> area=yes tag exists.

I'm not sure if I understand your problem, so following are my observations only.

Area described as a highway could be a multipolygon, without are=yes tag. Myltipolygon is area by default. I add following line to my style:
highway=* & mkgmap:mp_created=true { add area=yes; }

Highway area drown as a line clutters map and IMHO should be avoided. Usually there exist corresponding highway line too.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej