Basecamp is available also for MAC, not only windows. Your problems are dependent from the map. I would try other map. here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download are many other sources.
thomas

Von: "ael" <law_ence....@ntlworld.com>
Datum: Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2016 16:24
An: <mkgmap-dev@lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Problems with routing on Etrek 20 with latest firmware

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:05:40PM +0000, Gary Bamford wrote:
Hi Ael.

That's a strange on, I have no experience with the Etrek 20, but my starting point would be to load the map up into Basecamp, I would do this by putting the sd micro into a reader that way basecamp sees exactly the same map as the Garmin device.

Thanks for the reply, but AIUI basecamp is a windows program and I don't have
access to that operating system. In extremis, I might try using Wine if
that would throw any light.

ael