Steve,

as promised here the outcome from the (hopefully) proper testing...

Tests performed with maps created on Windows:

 * licence-file option: Check in Basecamp (Windows):
   now ok if I build cp1252 or unicode map, thumbs up !
 * lower-case option:
   if this option is set then I get proper capital and lower-case
   letters in shown license, if not set the it shows all capital
   letters... I haven't found any other differences in the map,
   Basecamp shows proper names on map.
 * copyright-file option: Check in BaseCamp (Windows):
   still shows scrambled characters in unicode map but also still ok in
   cp1252 maps

Additional tests performed with map created on Linux and final gmap checked on BaseCamp (Windows):

 * created unicode map and cp1252 map
 * on cp1252 map: both copyright-file and license-file output looks
   good (as expected)
 * on unicode map: consistent behaviour as on windows: license-file
   output correct, copyright-file output scrambled

That leaves up two things/questions:

 * I think copyright-file needs to be fixed also as this is the only
   one being displayed on the GPS Device, correct ?
 * question: the description of the option --lower-case says that lower
   case characters aren't displayed properly on most devices. On mine
   (etrex30, oregon 450t, monterra) I couldn't find any difference in
   the map, this option seems to affect only license and copyright
   files ? Do I miss something ? Is it dangerous to set this option for
   having a nice license as I might loose support for some devices ?

Cheers

Patrik