Hi Andrzej,
I've uploaded my test data:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/411/baddem6.7z

Please adjust the hard coded paths so that splitter r590 and mkgmap r4102 are
used.

The script produces a few small tiles with splitter and 4 maps with slightly
different options

I think the hgt file in SRTM3_orig contains no voids, so I created a copy and
placed a few voids (0x8000) into it.
Those voids appear only in tile 63240004.

The file crash.gdb contains two routes crossing tiles. The one starting in City
park causes crashes
in MapSource (version 6.16.3) when you don't use the map in folder map\orig\OSM
map.gmap
This changes when you compile r4102 with the no-dem-align.patch.

The other route never causes a crash because all tiles have no extra flag.
This changes when you use r4100.

My current understanding is that there is a problem when mkgmap r4102 writes
tiles with the has extra flag set to true.
All routes crossing tile borders of those tiles seem to produce the crash.

BTW: BuildDEMFile doesn't align and produces DEM which doesn't crash.
That's why I thought that the alignment might be the problem.

I guess that we should increase or decrease the overlap of the DEM tiles.

Gerd