Hi Andrzej

The SRT determines the sort order of names in the MDR and also within the IMG file. So it seems to me that one is always required.

I assumed that the MDR file was just a convenient place to put it. When you create a gmapsupp from a map with a MDR, there is only a single SRT file which must apply to the MDR and also to the individual IMG files.

I recently noticed that some Garmin maps have the SRT file repeated for
every IMG file within the gmapsupp.img as well as a copy for the MDR.

But I don't know, perhaps when there is no MDR the SRT does not get picked up. Only experiment can show what is needed.

Cheers,
Steve

what about SRT subfile? I think SRT is only a part of an MDR (or  a part of a tile). It is associated to MDR by its name. See code in GmapsuppBuilder.java:

if (createIndex) {
  MdrBuilder mdrBuilder = addMdrFile(familyId, info.getSort());
  mdrBuilder.onMapEnd(info);
}
addSrtFile(familyId, info);

Maybe it should be like that: