Hi all,

I don't think this problem is caused by merging, at least not the problem that
I see with the default style. I also don't think that merging can help to solve
the problem.
This is just a problem of resolution. The junction is simply too far away from
any Garmin grid point and there will always be distortions.
The question is if this has an effect on routing. Although the map shows a
u-turn the angles that are stored in the img file should be very different from
180°.
With the default style Basecamp shows an angle of ~45° in the routing
directions for a turn from west to south-east.
So, I think Felix is right that the real problem is the number of routable ways
that his style produces and - maybe - how the road merger connects them.

@Felix: Please, can you create a map with your style for the small extract in
the previously posted orig.osm.pbf and post a link for further anylyses?
If possible, please use the attached patch to compile a special version of
mkgmap first. Note the hard coded path "e:/ld/" in the patch,
please change that to a directory on your machine.
To compile please use the command
ant resolve-optional dist
Make sure that you don't use this module for normal input files, it creates a
lot of debug files!
Just zip all the files and post them as well if possible.

thanks,
Gerd