Hi,

Recently I offered a good collegue/friend to create a map for his Garmin GPS60 device of England. At first all seemed well, but then he complained that the village he was going to on his next vacation could not be found. The village was 'Chelsworth'.

I looked into it, and managed to solve it. In the process I learned 3 things and I would like to share the info. It could very well be that I overlooked something, or be completely wrong, so please correct me where needed.

1) Building Mkgmap/Splitter yourself with Eclipse/Ant. (Windows)
    To be able to run the build Jar's with Java SE Runtime Environment 8 (https://www.java.com/nl/download/manual.jsp) I added release="8" to build.xml.   For Mkgmap and splitter.

    Note: Ant requires JRE 11+, so I installed that JDK and that resulted in the runtime requirement of JRE 11 in the build Jar's, without the release="8" parameter.

2) Admin_level2 is required for setting the country, but that does not work when you build the bound files yourself from a 'small' region.

I always thought it was best to create the bounds files myself using the info on: https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/news/2013/01/10/creating-pre-processed-boundaries The example shown, with 'europe.osm.pbf' does work very well indeed. It wasn't until I tried this procedure with 'england-latest.osm.pbf <http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/great-britain/england-latest.osm.pbf>' that I found that the resulting bounds files are smaller, and apparently dont contain all the info needed to set the Admin_level2 and thus Country.

I tested this by adding debug lines like this in inc/address and looking at the available tags.
addr:city=Ipswich { echotags "Ipswich" }
addr:village=Chelsworth { echotags "Chelsworth" }
(It turns out that many places (cities/villages) in England have addr:village set, although its use is discouraged. Confusing, but handy if you want to debug.)

To summarize: Either take the bounds files from https://www.thkukuk.de/osm/data/bounds-latest.zip. Or if you want to create them yourself take a large area like Europe.

3) The supplied inc/address file from the default style does not handle all villages/cities well in England. Solution: If level10 is available take that value for city.

According to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative Level10 for England are civil parishes

Output from building the map using the debug lines in inc/address from bullet 2. (You can see that now level2 is set correctly)

Some points dont have a level10:
Node generated from way 376991833 [addr:city=Ipswich, addr:housenumber=9, addr:postcode=IP1 3SE, addr:street=Henley Road, amenity=pub, building=yes, mkgmap:admin_level2=GBR, mkgmap:admin_level4=England, mkgmap:admin_level6=Suffolk, mkgmap:admin_level8=Ipswich, mkgmap:area2poi=true, mkgmap:cache_area_size=35.823, mkgmap:label:1=The Greyhound, name=The Greyhound] Ipswich

But if they do, that value should be taken for mkgmap:city, and not level8. Level8 (Babergh) is the district Chelsworth belongs to. Node 9352769232 [addr:city=Ipswich, addr:housenumber=24-26, addr:postcode=IP7 7HU, addr:street=The Street, addr:village=Chelsworth, amenity=pub, *mkgmap:admin_level10=Chelsworth*, mkgmap:admin_level2=GBR, mkgmap:admin_level4=England, mkgmap:admin_level6=Suffolk, mkgmap:admin_level8=Babergh, mkgmap:label:1=The Peacock, name=The Peacock] Ipswich

Node 9352769232 [addr:city=Ipswich, addr:housenumber=24-26, addr:postcode=IP7 7HU, addr:street=The Street, addr:village=Chelsworth, amenity=pub,*mkgmap:admin_level10=Chelsworth*, mkgmap:admin_level2=GBR, mkgmap:admin_level4=England, mkgmap:admin_level6=Suffolk, mkgmap:admin_level8=Babergh, mkgmap:label:1=The Peacock, name=The Peacock] Chelsworth

My solution is to add these lines in inc/address, just before the 'common city rules'

Copy&Paste version:
# Great Britain. Many Towns/Villages have there names in level10, not in level8
# Todo: Maybe add mkgmap:admin_level4=England to selection?
mkgmap:country=GBR & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level10=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level10}' }

Cheers Frank