The keep at Hareford was not the imposing structure that Kyia’s home was in
Metamor, but it seemed just as daunting to Alex as he approached its halls.
Doubtless, it was not the structure itself that intimidated him, but the
prospect of what awaited him within its halls.  Could he even hope to convince
Sir Dupré to rescind his earlier orders?  He was nothing but a simple patrol
commander and that only as an inheritance from the company’s former commander.
Sir Dupré, though his own accomplishments had mostly been written in the
Midlands, was still a respected commander with a strong military heritage, not
to mention a commander to whom the lynx had never reported.

Of course, Alex’s concerns only mattered if he was even offered an audience.

He had briefly considered simply ignoring orders, but that consideration was
only lasted a few moments.  While he was concerned by Lois’ situation, he was
not about to risk his command by doing something rash.  He also knew that his
patrol’s absence could cause weakness in the patrol structure of the Keep, and
that was even more of a concern with the quarantine in effect.

Alex knew that it couldn’t be true, but he could almost swear that the guards
at the entrance to the keep were the same ones that had met him on his previous
visit.  Whether they were or not, they were certainly showing the wear of the
hours.  One of them was stretching and jogging in place to stay awake, and the
other was buffing his hooflike nails on a small file he carried in his other
hand, his partially-lidded eyes betraying the weariness with which he undertook
his simple efforts.  The two acknowledged him as he arrived, each returning to
some semblance of attention.

“Halt!  No one is allowed beyond without the express permission of Sir William
Dupré,” one of them said, clearly reciting the very orders he had been given.
At points, his voice dipped into a nearly indecipherable drawl, but he managed
to spit the message out around his tired tongue.

Alex nodded his understanding.  The increased security about the keep was
expected given the added pressure that Hareford was feeling at present.  With
Metamor unable to deploy their own troops in their current situation, it now
fell to the Outpost, Lake Barnhardt, and the Glen Avery to manage the troop
deployments.  This included the added difficulty of finding out where the
active patrols were, since even Metamor had little idea now that their
companies were forced to seek other quarters due to the plague.

“I understand that the commander is busy, but I would like to speak with him if
it is at all possible.”

One of the guards grimaced.  “I have to be honest, that is highly unlikely.
Sir Dupré is presently seeing only those to whom he has sent his personal
summons.”

Alex nodded.  “Could you at least take him my name?”  When the guards
hesitated, the lynx pressed forward.  “I am Alex hin’Valius, my patrol was just
ordered out into the field.”

The ungulate guard perked at the name.  “Wait a moment, that’s the name they
told us to be listening for,” he insisted.  “Sir Dupré wanted to see him right
away!”

The other nodded.  “I do recall that as well.”  To Alex he continued, “You’re
in luck.  It seems your coming was anticipated.”

The two of them opened the doors quickly, and Alex stepped through, his soft
pads making him almost completely silent as he marched along the solid stone of
the hallway.  He was pointed towards Sir Dupré’s chambers directly, and found
the way easy to follow despite the sparse, martial decoration of the keep’s
hallways.  He did his best to quash any fear he felt due to being expected
without warning.  Someone had certainly mentioned their predicament and piqued
the interest of Hareford’s new military commander.

The guards at the private chamber’s door bid him wait while they carried his
request to Sir Dupré.  The ram’s gruff voice was audible through the thick door
as he told them to allow Alex entrance.

The lynx stepped through the door when the guard returned to find that the
chambers he had been led to were, indeed, the ram’s private bedchambers.  The
man himself was standing in the one open area of the room, facing the door
while a boar worked calmly behind him, taking one piece of armor at a time and
fastening them securely to his commander’s form.  He worked with a practiced
diligence that spoke of years of experience.

“I thought you might wish to see me,” the older commander said.  His lieutenant
fixed a bracer to Dupré’s arm, carefully and deliberately securing each strap
to be certain that none of them could possibly come loose during combat.

“Yes, sir,” Alex gave a brief bow. He was uncertain of the proper degree of
deference to show to the man.  Although Nestorius was both the commander of
Hareford and a powerful mage, the black lion preferred some degree of
familiarity, so only the most basic formalities were observed.  William Dupré,
however, had been a lord in his own land, and though his banishment had taken
that title from him his post as the military commander at the Outpost was
worthy of some respect at least.

Sir Dupré gave a nod as he was armored.  “I originally heard that one of your
party had been attacked by a mage, and was unable to join any patrol.  More
recently I heard that the situation had been resolved.  I did not understand
the particulars of the situation well then, and I do not believe I can claim to
understand it now.  If you could perhaps explain it better, I might be able to
better explain my own decision to deploy your patrol.”

Alex took a deep breath.  Of course Dupré would not understand what had
happened.  He had been at the Keep for barely a few months, and in that time he
had been more than a little preoccupied.  Perhaps if he made a good case, the
lynx could manage to convince him to give them more time.

He explained the situation as briefly as possible.  The ram listened carefully,
an ear flicking now and then at some phrase or word that Alex misspoke, but he
nodded with a neutral expression for the duration of the explanation.  Dupré’s
lieutenant, although clearly well versed in the art of politely ignoring
conversations that were not his own, was not quite so well versed in
controlling his new body.  His ears often twitched or swiveled towards the lynx
whenever he mentioned something interesting.  The lynx chose to ignore this.
There was nothing to be gained by raising a fuss over something so minor.

While he continued his persuasive attempts, Alex hoped that he was not being
too technical with his explanation.  Although he had no trouble removing any
difficult magical terms from his discussion, as he did not know many himself,
he wondered if discussing the Curse in even some detail might cause some
confusion.

As he finished, however, Dupré seemed unfazed.  He waited thoughtfully, eyes
turned towards the floor, for a few moments as his captain adjusted the last
few straps of the commander’s armor.  Finally, he turned back to Alex.

“I understand your concern and your desire to help your compatriot.  I consider
loyalty to be an incredibly important trait in any warrior, so I cannot fault
you for yours.  Knowing the extent to which the Curse can affect a man’s mind
is also quite frightening.”  He shook his head slowly.  His captain seemed to
share his opinion based on his dour expression, but he continued to act as
ignorant of the conversation as he possibly could.  “Still, my one remaining
question is whether your friend is in any immediate danger?”

Alex wanted to claim that he was, but as much as he wished he could, he could
think of no reason to believe it was so.  Lois’ memory might have been
shattered by the fetish spell, but his ignorance of his past was perhaps even
safer than the alternative.  According to everything he had heard from the
mages, he also suspected that any harmful magic had already run its course.
Lois was handicapped, to be certain, and he could only wonder at the trials
that the ermine’s recovery would entail, but there was no clear, immediate
danger.

“No, sir, I do not believe that I can claim he is in danger,” the lynx admitted
with a sigh.

The ram gave a sympathetic smile.  “While I would like to be able to offer you
more time, the fact is that I am short on men as it is.  I need everyone
available to man the patrols during the quarantine.”  He waved an arm,
demonstrating his own armament.  “Even I am no exception.  We cannot reinforce
from within the Keep, so we are left to our own devices.  I know your men are
capable, and I need you on the field.”

Alex’s heart sank, but he nodded his understanding.  “Thank you for considering
my request, at least,” he offered.

“Perhaps there is still a partial solution,” the ram replied.  The boar behind
him turned to the side, taking another armored plate from where they all sat,
organized upon the bed.

Alex’s ears perked at the renewed offer.  “Sir?”

“I cannot afford to lose your entire patrol, but perhaps one of your company
could remain behind to be certain of his safety.”

The lynx felt a swell of relief for a moment, before he realized the
unfortunate truth.  “I’m sorry, sir, but if one of my fellows remained behind,
the other would have to do so as well,” he explained.

The ram’s face showed clear confusion.  “What do you mean?” he asked.

“They share a bond with one another for several reasons,” Alex explained.
“Without going into much detail regarding the exact cause, the result is that
they must remain close to one another at all times, or risk death.”

Sir Dupré shook his head.  “You surround yourself with quite a variety of
magical oddities,” he commented.  His lieutenant barely suppressed a chuckle.
“Whatever the case, I am sorry to say that this severely limits my ability to
help you in any meaningful way.  I am certain that the healers will gladly look
after him in your absence, but beyond this I do not see any way I can be of
help.”

“Perhaps there is one thing you might be able to do if you cannot allow us to
remain here,” Alex proposed.  “I told you of the mage that assisted us in our
efforts, Balrog.  Would it be possible to see that his patrol is able to remain
here in our absence?  He is a personal friend of Lois, and he might be able to
provide the necessary aid if we cannot.”

Dupré considered the proposal in silence for a few moments before nodding
slowly.  “I think I may be able to allow that request,” he agreed.  “If I
understand correctly, his patrol company only returned from a mission
themselves recently.  Giving them a few additional days to rest would be
profitable for them.”

Alex smiled.  “Thank you, sir.  Unless you require me for any other purpose, I
believe I should part to prepare my men for the upcoming patrol.”

The ram nodded.  “Indeed.  Fare well on your journey.  I hope our next meeting
will be under more fortunate circumstances.  Perhaps we could find time to
share a drink together.  I do want to know the men under my command, brief
though our interaction may be.”

Alex hesitated.  It always concerned him when anyone of rank showed interest in
him, but he could see no ill intention of any kind behind the offer.  “Thank
you,” he said, giving a shallow bow.  “I would be honored to join you if you
would have me.”

“Of course.”  Dupré smiled, and even the boar spared the lynx a glance and a
smile.  “Farewell!  May each of us find good success on our journeys.”

As Alex left, he wondered if he had done the right thing.  He barely knew
Balrog, and the only word that had assured him of the man’s friendship to Lois
had been the lutin’s own.  If there was any deception in the man’s words, the
lynx would not learn of it until the results had already been wrought.  Still,
as he returned to the barracks, Alex could not find it in himself to regret the
decision.  Lois needed someone to help him through this difficulty.  Despite
the risks, he truly believed that Balrog was worthy of his trust.  He just
wished he could still his lingering doubts.

---