Hello Sahith,

> This looks very feasible along with being cool and intuitive. We could
> implement
> a system where a user who is a beginner can just choose an environment and
> input
> a particular pre-built methods and can compare different methods through
> visualizations and the actual emulation of the game environment. Other users
> can
> have more control and call only specific functions of the API which they need
> and can modify everything and these people would be the ones who would most
> benefit from a having leaderboard for comparison between other users on OpenAI
> gym.

I think merging ideas from both sides is a neat idea; the first step should
focus on the existing mlpack methods, provide pre-trained models for specific
parameter sets and output some metrics, providing a recording of the environment
is also a neat feature. Note the optimizer visualization allows a user to fine
control the optimizer parameter, but only because the time to find a solution is
low, in case of  RL methods we are talking about minutes or hours, so providing
pretraining models is essential. If you like the idea, we should think about
some meaningful metrics, besids number of iterations.

For other frameworks, one idea is to provide an API to upload the results, based
on the information, we could generate the metrics.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Marcus

> [...]
>> wider audience, in the form of a playground.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marcus
>>
>>> On 27. Feb 2018, at 23:01, Sahith D <sahit...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:sahit...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marcus,
>>> Sorry for not updating you earlier as I had some exams that I needed to
>>> finish first.
>>> I've been working on the policy gradient over in this repository which you
>>> can see over here https://github.com/SND96/mlpack-rl
>>> <https://github.com/SND96/mlpack-rl>
>>> I also had some ideas on what this project could be about.
>>>
>>> 1. We could implement all the fundamental RL algorithms like those over
>>> here https://github.com/dennybritz/reinforcement-learning
>>> <https://github.com/dennybritz/reinforcement-learning> . This repository
>>> contains nearly all the algorithms that are useful for RL according to
>>> David Silver's RL course. They're all currently in python so it could just
>>> be a matter of porting them over to use mlpack.
>>> 2. We could implement fewer algorithms but work more on solving the OpenAI
>>> gym environments using them. This would require tighter integration of the
>>> gym wrapper that you have already written. If enough environments can be
>>> solved then this could become a viable C++ library for comparing RL
>>> algorithms in the future.
>>>
>>> Right now I'm working on the solving one of the environments in gym using a
>>> Deep Q-Learning approach similar to what is already there in the mlpack
>>> library from last year's gsoc. Its taking a bit longer than I hoped as I'm
>>> still familiarizing myself with some of the server calls being made and how
>>> to properly get information about the environements. Would appreciate your
>>> thoughts on the ideas that I have and anything else that you had in mind.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Sahith
>>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM Sahith D <sahit...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:sahit...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi Marcus,
>>> I've been having difficulties compiling mlpack which has stalled my
>>> progress. I've opened an issue on the same and appreciate any help.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM Sahith D <sahit...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:sahit...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Hey Marcus,
>>> No problem with the slow response as I was familiarizing myself better with
>>> the codebase and the methods present in the meantime. I'll start working on
>>> what you mentioned. I'll notify you when I finish.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:56 AM Marcus Edel <marcus.e...@fu-berlin.de
>>> <mailto:marcus.e...@fu-berlin.de>> wrote:
>>> Hello Sahith,
>>>
>>> thanks for getting in touch and sorry for the slow response.

>>> Great that you got it all working, another good entry point is to write a
>>> simple
>>> RL method, one method that is simple that comes to mind is the Policy
>>> method. Another idea is to write an example for solving a GYM environment