Hello there,

As time has progressed over the years, this list has fallen into disuse.
On top of that, the GNU mailman project that is used to manage this list
has had a complete overhaul---and the new version leaves quite a lot to
be desired.  I've spent many hours trying to fight with the poorly
documented mailman2->mailman3 transition, pulling my hair out reading
unhelpful responses from mailman3 maintainers, manually modifying
undocumented database schema, making bugfixes in Python code, and so on
and so forth ad infinitum.  In fact, words are actually not good enough
to convey my true feelings here, but, I'll let you use your imagination
to complete the picture of my relationship with mailman3.

I've finally reached a breaking point today after yet another botched
upgrade.  Given the general lack of use of this list, I think it's
reasonable to decommission the list.  It served us well for 15 years but
so many other things serve the same purposes:

 * Issues can be reported on Github (https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack),
   and Github even allows interacting with these via email so the
   workflow doesn't need to change.

 * Watching the project on Github will get you release announcements in
   your inbox (or Github notifications or whatever).

 * Nobody is going to miss the periodic password reminders.

If there is big public outcry about this list going away, I can revive
it on freelists.org (which is what I'm doing with the mlpack-git list).
But, I suspect there won't be, because half the time gmail just sends
things sent by mailman to everyone's spam folders anyway.

Alas, email, we barely knew ye.  (Can you tell I have strong feelings
about the state of email?? :))

Thanks, and I hope your day is going better than mine! :)

Ryan

P.S. was I supposed to use the term "sunsetting"?  Is that what we're
supposed to do in the 2020s?

--
Ryan Curtin    | "In honor of the last American hero, to whom speed
r...@ratml.org | means freedom of the soul."  - Super Soul