Dan,

>> The level parameter is relatively new. How would you feel about
>> breaking backwards compatibility and converting it to dB? I'm
>> willing to do the work.

> I think that will affect the current Flowblade release. Let's
> see what Janne says. Otherwise, I do not have a problem with
> the change.

I checked with Janne offline and he confirmed that Flowblade is not using the
"level" parameter.

Pascal,

>> You are absolutely correct, I was wondering why the the sound seems
>> to go up much more rapidely than I expect.
>> is it possible to indicate Db instead of just a factor ?

> It is not currently possible. But in my opinion, it would make sense
> to change the behavior of the level parameter to be in units of dB
> rather than a factor.

The change to use dB is now committed:
https://github.com/mltframework/mlt/commit/faa1a5c6f5274129f05cb5dba0cf0a4e3182ed21

Consider using the range 0dB to -40dB for fading out and the opposite for
fading in. Let us know if you get better results.

~Brian