On Monday, March 9, 2015 11:51:17 PM CEST, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> You do not need a -repeat. Just move eof=loop ahead of -profile:
> http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/Questions#How_do_I_loop_something_indefini

I'll give this another shot, I didn't move it ahead of profile. After it,
it did not have any effect.

> Now the output looks bad, and I mean: linear scaling bad. I wonder, how
>
> Or do you mean non-interpolated, nearest-neighbor bad? The
> default for decklink output is bilinear.

Nearest-neighbor bad + not blended with the background, but it looks like
that it is only in one direction. Which might be expected with anamorphic
scaling.

> does MLT currently make wide-screen pal, or scaling at all? At what step
> does it downscale to anamorphically 720x576?
>
> After the reading/decode and before user-specified filters.

Ok, that is good to know.

> $ melt -query profile=dv_pal_wide | grep sample
> sample_aspect_num: 64
> sample_aspect_den: 45
> => force_aspect_ratio=@64/45

I'll give it a shot.

> melt eof=loop -profile dv_pal_wide
> consumer:/home/tv/kabelkrant.mlt mlt_profile=atsc_1080p_25
> -consumer decklink

And for the above, it will do bileair downscaling?

> DVI->HDMI->SDI conversion?
>
> I don't know what you are trying to do here.

Ziggo/UPC in The Netherlands forces local broadcasters to use their Divitel
SD-MPEG2 encoding platform. The quality at 5.5Mbit is poor enough to
prevent noisy input, the inputs are either analogue or SDI. Hence someone
someone bought a 155 euro output card, where I typicaly would go for a
miniconverter HDMI2SDI. MLT was the first thing that came to mind that
actually supports Decklink outputs.

Normally I composite on an the Xorg root window and have that transfered to
the external encoder. Or use an RaspberryPi for the output job. But now I
actually can try MLT as output platform I am interested in using the
opportunity to learn something about it. Since the last time I actually ran
MLT in production was probably 15 years ago.

So a bonus question: if I would like to gracefully swap an .mlt file in
melt, is this possible, or should something like melted be used for it?

--
Stefan