Okay I asked this question below, kept on looking and fiddled around some
more and found a way (which seems like a bit of a hack)

So once I have a clip playing

I create a filter from my strapline clip(file path) and attach the filter
to the now playing video...

overlay_filter = mlt.Filter(profile, "watermark", overlay_path)
now_playing.attach(overlay_filter)

Now, to make the overlay disappear after s certain duration or when done
playing...

:)

--

Regards,