On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM Javier Matas <javier.ma...@yump.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using melt in order to build videos from .mov fragments, and when
> we process the fragments, we realize that the output videos have around 10
> repeated frames at the beginning.
>
> The melt command we use is:
>
> melt -provider in.mov -consumer avformat:out.mp4 vcodec=libx264 an=1
> preset=ultrafast vb=2M qmin=10 qmax=22 me_method=hex g=120 threads=4
> slices=4
>
> And its console output is:
>
> libdc1394 error: Failed to initialize libdc1394
> No LADSPA plugins were found!
>
> Check your LADSPA_PATH environment variable.
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c88d16a0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c8988600] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c8da2900] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c88e6820] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c88e0cc0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c899e240] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c88c1ea0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c88c9fc0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c8da0fe0] max_analyze_duration reached
> +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> |1=-10| |2= -5| |3= -2| |4= -1| |5=  0| |6=  1| |7=  2| |8=  5| |9= 10|
> +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> |               H = back 1 minute,  L = forward 1 minute              |
> |                 h = previous frame,  l = next frame                 |
> |           g = start of clip, j = next clip, k = previous clip       |
> |                0 = restart, q = quit, space = play                  |
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c94cd880] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c94d31e0] max_analyze_duration reached
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f14c94ce960] max_analyze_duration reached
> [libx264 @ 0x7f14c98b8a20] lookaheadless mb-tree requires intra refresh or
> infinite keyint
> Current Position:        488
>

> Tho OSs we use are debian 7 and ubuntu 14.04, and we've realized that the
> number of repeated frames depends only on the machine in which we're
> executing it (from 5 to 12). This causes annoying stops in the videos.
>
> Our theory is that the architecture of the machine has a lot to do with
> these problems, but trying to do the fine tuning with threads, slices and
> other parameters like thread_type or real_time is proving useless.
>
> We usually run this command from a Docker with debian 7 and melt 0.8.0,
> but as I said before, the OS and the melt version don't matter because in
> each machine we always have the same number of repeated frames, and this
> number is only different among different host machines.
>
> Thank you very much.

I do not understand how or why different hosts running the same code will
produce different numbers of repeated frames for the same input. However,
Debian 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 probably have different versions of
libavformat/libavcodec, and melt v0.8.0 is quite old.

I recommend that you try one of these clips in Shotcut on your desktop. You
can see if reproduces by stepping frame-by-frame in the player from the
beginning of the clip, by encoding the clip as H.264 within Shotcut, or by
using the melt that comes with Shotcut. (If using Linux, you must use the
wrapper script at Shotcut.app/melt instead of running Shotcut.app/bin/melt
directly.)