Apologies in advance for a semi-novice question:

I'm looking for a way to achieve something like the luma transition, but using
a greyscale video instead of a PGM file for the luma map file.

The first frame of the greyscale video will be all white; the last all black
(or vice-versa). What I'd like is for that white/black to correspond to the
alpha, so that everywhere that's fully-black in the greyscale video, we can
"see through" to the second full-color clip. Everywhere that's 50% black will
be a 50-50 mix of the first and second clips, etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Tom