Given a project whose producers have different aspect ratios...

    <mlt>
      <producer id="wide">
        <property name="resource">wide.mp4</property>
      </producer>
      <producer id="narrow">
        <property name="resource">narrow.mp4</property>
      </producer>
      <playlist>
        <entry producer="wide" in="0" out="72"/>
        <entry producer="narrow" in="0" out="72"/>
      </playlist>
    </mlt>

...and using the avformat consumer...

    melt foo.mlt -consumer avformat:foo.mp4

...the width and height of the output video seem to often (not always! -
curious about this) be the w/h of the first producer in the playlist. The other
producers are scaled to fit the output width or height while preserving their
aspect ratios.

But when I fix the output width and height, all the producers are stretched to
fit, not preserving their original aspect ratios:

    melt foo.mlt -consumer avformat:foo.mp4 width=1920 height=1080

How can I specify output width and height while preserving the producers'
aspect ratios?

Thanks!
Tom