FTR, there's a good smoke test for the method handles part of JSR 292 in the
JDK sources:
  davinci/sources/jdk/test/java/dyn/MethodHandlesTest.java

Running the test requires JUnit 4.5.

$JSR292_JAVA_HOME/bin/java -ea -esa
-XX:+{UnlockExperimentalVMOptions,EnableMethodHandles}
  -Xbootclasspath/a:$HOME/env/jars/junit-4.5.jar org.junit.runner.JUnitCore
test.java.dyn.MethodHandlesTest

The source file shows a number of known failures currently excluded from the
test suite.  (But the exclusions are decreasing over time!)

The latest patch push (including meth-ing-6939134.patch) upgrades this test,
and passes it cleanly.

-- John