Okay, I¹ve done some tests of this with the micro benchmarks for our
language & runtime which show pretty much no change except for one test
which is now almost 3x slower. It uses nested loops to iterate over an
array and concatenate the string-like objects it contains, and replaces
elements with these new longer string-llike objects. It¹s a bit of a
pathological case, and I haven¹t seen the same sort of degradation in the
other benchmarks or in real applications, but I haven¹t done serious
benchmarking of them with this change.

I shall see if the test case can be reduced down to anything simpler while
still showing the same performance behaviour, and try add some compilation
logging options to narrow down what¹s going on.

Duncan.