Jochen

The comment on the test part of the pic is interesting. Since I am looking
at multimethods
I would like to have a better  understanding of how you decide which code
to dispatch at a site.
My pic suggestion assumes that one test method is applied to the arguments
and its result
used to select the code to execute.   This may be too limiting to be the
general case.

The way I reason about a pic is that it is presented the current stack
args and if it does
not see a match the stack and the site are passed to the fallback.  The
fallback has
two responsibilities, to find the code for the current args and to
generate a test which
when applied to args in the future will dispatch the same code.  I see
this test as
a pattern match against some facet of the args.  Since I use a chain of
GWTs each guard
can have a different test/match.  I am looking at some form of bit vector
for the facets and the
pattern to match ( as in the paper RĂ©mi suggested) so I don't have to have
a complex tree
like test.

Perhaps my original thought of just declaring the site to be a pic and
letting the jvm do its
best optimizing the target will be the best.

ragards
mark