Hi John

I did try a variant of this ( did not know about stable at the time ) where I used two 10 element arrays like
you recommend.   The first array was a set of object references which was the original guard and the
second the matching method handles.  For this experiment I did not change the array contents.  I used
a simple linear search over the object references to locate the index and then executed the MH.

I found this to be substantially slower than just a linked set of GWTs.  I have thought of changing
the guard to a integer vs the object ref thinking this would be better but I have not tried it yet.  I also
wrote this in high level java and rather than at the byte code level which may not have been the best way.

I should have some time in the next few weeks to look at this again

mark