[2019-01-21 22:47] markus schnalke <mei...@marmaro.de>
> We'll be pleased to apply those two.
>
> > 3. Install manpages as show.1mh, not show.1 to avoid conflicts with
> >    other programs.
>
> Not sure about that one. It's mainly a distribution issue not so
> much an upstream issue, I'd say. But tell me otherwise!
> Opinions?

Sure, it is distribution patch. But you may wish to make distribution of
your software simplier.

> > 4. Currently, if LOCKTYPE=dot, ./configure script forces Makefile to
> >    setgid installed `inc' binary. I patch it out, but you may want to
> >    add option to /not/ use setgid. It is headache for two-stage
> >    installation, used by most package managers (dpkg, rpm, ...)
>
> AFAICS, if you use dotlocking and the mail spool directory is not
> writable for all possible users, then inc(1) has to have setgid
> or you would have no locking. Or am I wrong?

Correct. If inc(1mh) is not setgid, it will work, but keep complaining
about inability to create lock file.

> I recall that Debian has some kind of special libdotlocking or
> such which needs to be used for mail spool locking by Policy,
> IIRC. Does that solve the issue in a different way? IIRC you
> cannot use other lock methods as the mail spool could be on an
> NFS share, which only offers dotlocking. ... not sure about all
> that. It's too far past when I dug into in the last time.
>
> Questions: What's the situation exactly on Debian? Is this a
> distribution-specific patch or does it fix a general issue?

I just patch-out setgid of inc(1mh) at build time, and setgid it at
install time (maintainer script). Every distribution would have to do
the same.

On other hand, if you patch-out setgid on build time upstream, it will
make life of those, who install with raw

        ./configure && make && sudo make

slightly more complicated: they will have to

        chown :mail /usr/bin/mh/inc
        chmod +g /usr/bin/mh/inc

Now you have information about pros and cons.
--
        Note, that I send and fetch email in batch, once every 24 hours.
                 If matter is urgent, try https://t.me/kaction