From: gwe...@gmail.com [mailto:gwe...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Gwern Branwen
Sent: 26 March 2017 18:48
To: Mnemosyne mailing list <mnemosyne-proj-users@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [mnemosyne-proj-users] Tool for non-memorization review of old
notes/emails/clippings/documents?

I was wondering, has anyone here seen any programs or applications or systems
which allow the user to systematically regularly reread old documents such as
emails or clippings (eg Evernote), on a schedule in which each item is reread
at ever more distant times, thereby bounding to a small number of total rereads?
The benefit is one of serendipity, discovering new connections, or facts/quotes
which have changed considerably in the light of subsequent events, that sort of
thing.
I've always found rereading my old emails periodically to be helpful, and
extensive clippings in my Evernote account to be useful too in refinding
references; but doing it manually is a lot of work and can result in wasted
rereads.
So a more systematic approach might be useful, which calls for a tool to track
individual items, queue them up for review, schedule a next appearance, and
penalize/upgrade items.
A more thorough discussion:
https://www.gwern.net/Statistical%20notes#program-for-non-spaced-repetition-review-of-past-written-materials-for-serendipity-rediscovery-archive-revisiter

This is semi-relevant to spaced repetition systems since it involves review
over increasing time spans of documents, but without the goal of memorization &
use of the forgetting curve, so I don't think Mnemosyne could be used
*directly* for this, even if you dumped in snippets for everything as text...
You could try to by putting them in one category and then rating them '5' to
push them far out, but I think this would wind up showing them too often
anyway? Maybe a plugin changing the scheduling algorithm to be more aggressive?

--
gwern