Thanks Peter Bienstman. that was a little embarassing, i should have read the
error output myself.

I use very few python tools which I install myself, so it took me a while to
. get it installed.

For the benefit of others who like me face this problem and have very little
python know how, here is what I did:

Install pip:
sudo apt install python3-pip

Use pip to install cheroot:
python3 -m pip install cheroot

Now, I can start mnemosyne as normal user, and the initial sync with my android
mnemosyne app was successfull.