Oh, that's why AnkiDroid is so slow at loading the custom fonts. On every
card that uses them, it takes up to half a second, on a brand new flagship
phone.

Well, if anybody has any other advice, especially for Japanese, that would
be welcome. Even a standard Mincho font would be preferable to the Gothic
thing Android seems to be using.