OK, I tried these steps

1. Visit https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/ and download the latest
python release
2. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Python 3.12 (or whatever
version you downloaded)
3. Double click on Update Shell Profile.command to make sure your computer
knows where to find Python
4. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities > Terminal
5. In the Terminal window, type in "pip3 install mnemosyne-proj" and hit
Enter
6. A bunch of text will scroll by. Wait until it's done, then type
"mnemosyne" and hit Enter

It all seems to work! I'm not sure if the fact that I have XCode helped so
it would be good to find a guinea pig.

It found my existing database so everything is compatible with the previous
version.

We could create a file that acts as a launcher for Mnemosyne - attaching an
example. Or we could get more fancy and do a full Installer script like the
attached. Then the steps would be as simple as

1. Visit https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/ and download the latest
python release
2. Download and double click to run Mnemosyne-Installer-MacOS.command
3. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Mnemosyne.command and double
click to run it.

I tried to attach the files but Google Groups blocks it. Here's the file
contents

Mnemosyne.command:
```
mnemosyne
```

Mnemosyne-Installer-MacOS.command
```
#!/bin/bash

# This installer pulls mnemosyne from the pip registry. It requires that
you have Python installed via https://www.python.org/downloads/macos

# make sure python is installed properly and accessible
/Applications/Python*/Update\ Shell\ Profile.command

# create some helpful launchers on the Desktop
echo << EOF > /Applications/Mnemosyne.command
mnemosyne
EOF
echo << EOF > /Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command
pip3 install --upgrade mnemosyne-proj
EOF
chmod +x ~/Mnemosyne.command /Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command

/Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command # the actual install happens via
this command
```

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 11:06 AM Peter Bienstman <peter.bienst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One should now also be able to do 'pip install mnemosyne-proj'. Would be
> good to check this on OSX without homebrew.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
> On Thursday, 2 November 2023 at 10:11:09 UTC+1 ace.z.a...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Probably so.
>>
>> If if ever the same error happens... well I did notice that the error is
>> arising from the possibility that pip was run using python3.8, re:
>> /tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/...? the sip package
>> under python3.8 might be deprecated. This the same error happens, i think
>> you can force a different python version using: python3.11 -m pip
>> install ...
>>
>> To update the command it would be: `python3.11 -m pip3 install *--index-url
>> https://test.pypi.org/simple/ <https://test.pypi.org/simple/>
>> --extra-index-url https://pypi.org/simple/ <https://pypi.org/simple/> *
>> mnemosyne==2.10.1.2`
>>
>> On Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 5:04:24 PM UTC+8 Peter Bienstman wrote:
>>
>>> That same command in a virtual env gave the error below. I don't think
>>> it makes sense to look into this until we've tried putting it on
>>> regular pypi.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Collecting pyqt6<7.0.0,>=6.5.1
>>> Using cached PyQt6-6.6.0.tar.gz (1.0 MB)
>>> Installing build dependencies ... done
>>> Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
>>> Preparing wheel metadata ... error
>>> ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
>>> command: /home/pbienst/test_env/bin/python /tmp/tmpkp2w15bm
>>> prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel /tmp/tmp58kai8sh
>>> cwd: /tmp/pip-install-i2hosebo/pyqt6
>>> Complete output (26 lines):
>>> Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 126, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
>>> hook = backend.prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
>>> AttributeError: module 'sipbuild.api' has no attribute
>>> 'prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel'
>>>
>>> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 280, in <module>
>>> main()
>>> File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 263, in main
>>> json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
>>> File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 130, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
>>> return _get_wheel_metadata_from_wheel(backend, metadata_directory,
>>> File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 159, in _get_wheel_metadata_from_wheel
>>> whl_basename = backend.build_wheel(metadata_directory, config_settings)
>>> File
>>> "/tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sipbuild/api.py",
>>>
>>> line 46, in build_wheel
>>> project = AbstractProject.bootstrap('wheel',
>>> File
>>> "/tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sipbuild/abstract_project.py",
>>>
>>> line 87, in bootstrap
>>> project.setup(pyproject, tool, tool_description)
>>> File