Bringing this topic back up here.

I'm thinking about a custom replicator that would talk to IPFS instead of
Sync Gateway/CouchDB.

What would be needed for this to be implemented? Ideally in a way that
could be read in from a web app also. I've been following developments at
OrbitDB <https://github.com/orbitdb/orbit-db/issues/4> to get some ideas,
most recently a plugin that replicates from OrbitDB (IPFS based DB) to
PouchDB: https://github.com/garbados/pouchdb-orbit

My understanding of replication is its simply reading in and applying the
changes feed and then, dealing with conflicts (the complicated part I
guess).

Any pointers would be much appreciated, thanks.