Hi Katy and all,

In class that is not about mobile communication per se, but IS about
user-centered design (for computer scientists) and using observation in the
world as a way to uncover design problems, opportunities, and inspirations, I
have students use the cameras on their mobile phones to capture visuals while
they are out and about in the world, as a form of a visual diary. I call it the
"Technoculars"  assignment---it lasts 1/2 a semester, and there's a theme every
week to help guide observation for novices. They upload their images to a Ning
site that we use for class, and by the end, we have a huge catalog of usability
and other design problems that everyone can share. The user-generated content
also is displayed on the main course page--I think the students like that.

It has been a helpful way to use mobile tech instructively.  I speculate that
the lens of the camera helps more quickly focus the "ethnographic eye" that I
try to help my (sometimes unwilling) computer science ugrads develop.

Best
Leysia

On Aug 15, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Katy P wrote:

> What sort of activities do you do with undergrads regarding mobile
> communication?
>
> Some things that I've done:
>
> - diaries of their day and then have them reflect upon their technology, and
> specifically mobile technology, use
> - exercises where they imagine life in 1980 or have them watch a tv show/read
> a short story pre-mobiles and reflect on how things are different with mobile
> tech
> - figure out how much their mobile bill is and then make up a pretend budget
> for a 1st/2nd-year-out-of-college person and see how much their
> telecommunications cost relative to the rest of their budget
> - playing around with GapMinder
>
> Any other mobile-related in-class activities that people have tried?
>
> Thanks!
> Katy

Leysia Palen
Associate Professor
Computer Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

Connectivity Lab
Project EPIC: Empowering the Public with Information in Crisis

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~palen/
http://epic.cs.colorado.edu/
Twitter: @palen, @epiccolorado