hello sir,
in order to get rid of the contacts in app switcher, launch settings, mail,
contacts and calendars. navigate to show in app switcher and turn it off.  now
recent or favourite contacts will not be shown in app switcher.
while selecting contacts in mail app most of the contacts are dimed because
they do not contain any email addresses.  but the contact that has an email
address attached to it, gets highlighted.
please be patient, things may resolve in the next update
regards.

Harbhajan