Another...

crores
By Anand Narayanaswamy -  Feb 18, 2016
Freedom 251
For the last few days, the tech portals were loaded full of content
about the new Freedom 251 smartphone launched by a Noida based
company, Ringing Bells on February 18 at an event attended by Union
Defence Minister along with other political leaders and tech
enthusiasts. However, there are doubts about the credibility of the
company and Freedom 251 could be another fraud scam like Aakash Tablet
with the expected loss amounting to over Rs 2500 crores.
Launched under the Digital India initiative, Freedom 251 is the second
smartphone from the company, the first one being Smart 101. Moreover,
the handset has been widely marketed with the Make in India tagline.
Even though the company has taken down the order system due to an
unknown technical problem, you should be little careful before placing
an order for Freedom 251 once they resume.
We inspected the images of various other smartphones on the market and
noticed that Freedom 251 resembles the design aesthetics of the Adcom
Ikon 4, which is already available for Rs. 3999. Moreover, Ringing
Bells has mentioned that technical support will be provided by Adcom.
If Freedom 251 is a blatant copy of Adcom Icon 4 or it is the Adcom
Icon 4, then the device might not be manufactured under Make in India
initiative and it amounts to misuse of the trademark owned by
Government of India.
Check these images uncovering the truth of Freedom 251.
There is also a possibility of Adcom suing Ringing Bells if they have
stolen the original design from Adcom. If this happens then the
production of Freedom 251 will come to a halt and the fortune of
people who have placed orders for the phone will hang in the balance.
Freedom 251 is being sold by the same company, who previously took
orders for Smart 101 handset from people. With almost same features,
the company never fulfilled the orders to all those who ordered the
smartphone. Moreover, there are reports that customers never got
confirmation after placement of orders.
According to industry analysts, it is not feasible for a company to
sell a smartphone at Rs. 251 when the cost of spares along account to
Rs 1,500. There are several smartphones on the market with the same
features and are priced at Rs. 3,000.
With strong reasons to doubt the authenticity of Freedom 251, the LCD,
digitizer and front bezel alone will along cost $35. On the other
hand, Indian Cellular Association has set a minimum price limit for a
3G enabled smartphone at Rs. 2,700. Hence, a price tag of Rs. 251 for
a 4-inch IPS display smartphone looks suspicious.
With over 5 crore people expected to book Freedom 251, because of the
hype it generated, the company will earn 12.5 billion rupees. Imagine
a situation where the company vanish one fine morning. You will not
only lose Rs. 291 (Rs. 40 delivery charges) but also will not be able
to keep track of the company people.
Even though you have paid around Rs. 291, it is still your hard earned
money which you can’t afford to lose. At that time, you will shy away
from disclosing the fact that you have ordered the handset and will
move on just like what people did with Aakash tablet.
Yes, Rs. 250 is a small amount for one, but look at the kind of money
Ringing Bell will receive from the people collectively. At this price
point, 5-10 crore bookings are achievable in the population of 125
crores. And that alone will make company over Rs. 2,500 crores! And
who will care if they do not deliver or refund? No one!
The company had invited Union Defence Minister and other political
leaders for the event. That doesn’t mean they can’t fraud the people.
You should remember the curious case of Aakash tablet. A simple Google
search with the keyword ‘Aakash tablet scam’ will throw open all
facts.
Even if you receive Freedom 251 in good condition, the cost of repair
in case of any fault will be higher than what you paid to obtain the
product. Moreover, there is a huge risk involved since the battery is
prone to explode.
Meanwhile, the company has not disclosed the SAR value, which is done
by all manufacturers of smartphones. We posted a query regarding this
on the official Facebook page of Ringing Bells but they haven’t
replied with the correct values. If the SAR value is higher, then the
smartphone will be highly dangerous to use both for adults and kids.
A question which remains unanswered here is that why the company is
not accepting orders after the manufacturing of Freedom 251.
Initially, the company can produce 50,000 units and sell them. This
will ensure trust among people rather than paying a low cost and
waiting for over 4 months.
That being said, it’s up to you to decide whether to place an order
for Freedom 251. If you have paid and placed an order then you will
have to rub your fingers for the next few months till you receive the
smartphone. Ideally, you should not be part of a group who have paid
for the smartphone and got frauded. In the end, you might never
receive the smartphone or receive a faulty phone with the cost of
travelling to service center alone will cost more than Rs. 300.
Associate anything with the patriotism, Nation, Tricolor Flag, and
underprivileged sector of the nation, and fool the masses in buying
anything. Don’t be fool and be wise, nothing comes cheap in this
world!

Update: Upon request of MP, Dr. Kirit Somaiya, Govt. of India has
ordered for a legal enquiry on Rising Bells to testify the company’s
claim of selling Freedom 251 smartphone for Rs. 251.
Source:

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah