I'm just looking at the source code, but it seems to me that it does
check whether or not the element is initially displayed:

<code>
MochiKit.Style.getStyle(element, 'display') != 'none'
        v.PAIRS[effect][1] :
        v.PAIRS[effect][0]
</code>

In other words, if the element's "display" style is set to "none", use
the "on" version; otherwise, use the "off" version.

How are you hiding your element?  If it's by using "visibility:hidden"
or "opacity:0", or anything besides "display:none", that might explain
your problem.

Jeremy