Your patch notes indicate not using getElementWidth and
getElementHeight, what are the preferred?

In a fit of trying to get horizontal scaling to happen at the same
time as sliding a pair in the case where they were not the same size,
I had already migrated some of the duplications to helper functions. I
ended up giving up on the scaling for now but have left the helper
code. After you let me know what to do with the height/width, I'll
update that and add the new patch with all current changes to trac.

On the MochiKit.Animator reference, I'm not seeing it in the mochikit
repository, I assume this is part of another repository or maybe not
in trunk. Hopefully I'm not duplicating any effort here.