Thanks everybody for all answers. I checked the dd-wrt wiki page and
finally went for the D-Link DWM-222 (there weren't much more options to buy
from local retailers).

I have a few questions regarding ModemManager after testing this modem for
a while. I managed to connect almost with no manual intervention but 4G
doesn't seem to work.

First thing, to test 4G I had to use "mmcli -m 0
--set-current-capabilities=lte" and realise it wouldn't connect. Is there
any other way to check 4G status? "nmcli c" displayed the connection type
as "gsm", but I would expect connection errors in ModemManager's journal or
some way to do this using "mmcli".

Second, can you help debug why I cannot setup 4G in this particular modem?

Thanks again.

El jue., 22 feb. 2018 a las 18:08, Bjørn Mork (<bj...@mork.no>) escribió:

> Henrique Ferreiro <henrique.ferre...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ModemManager/SupportedDevices/
> > looks
> > quite outdated. Can anyone here recommend any 4G USB dongle which works
> > reasonably well on Linux?
>
> I guess this page became irrelevant because "all" 4G and 3G USB dongles
> suddenly worked reasonably well on Linux. It should probably be replaced
> by a page stating that fact(?)
>
> I am sure there are exceptions which do not work at all, but for some
> years now these exceptions have been hard to find.  So maintaining a
> list of supported devices doesn't make any sense.  They all work, more
> or less.
>
> *How* they work still differ though. As Aleksander and others have
> mentioned, the trend seems go towards modems acting as mini-routers with
> web based management.  The advantage is that it works the same
> regardless of host OS.  The disadvantage is that you are limited by the
> management web application built into the modem firmware.
>
> The DDWRT guys have an extensive list of modems, which might give some
> clue wrt which modems support QMI or MBIM based management:
> https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/3G_/_3.5G
>
> But the number of device and firmware combinations is so large that I
> don't think it is possible to tell for sure without trying.
>
> > In particular, does the Huawei E3372 or E8372 work? A quick google search
> > returns mixed results.
>
> They should work as well as any, as Thomas said.  Exactly how is
> difficult to say without known the precise firmware configuration.  But
> I am pretty sure you should be able to get an IPv4 Internet connection
> going without much trouble.
>

> Bjørn

Henrique