Hi Aleksander,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Aleksander Morgado
<aleksan...@aleksander.es> wrote:

> Hey Giacinto,
>

> > for Cinterion modems that support the profiles, there is a special
> > command to read them (ATI61, no mbim equivalent, maybe qmi but I
> > wouldn't know it; and an at^scfg? option to read the current one) as a
> > list and would fit well with option 2.
> > The second option would also sit better in the context of a get/set
> > option, because clearly option 3 wouldn't set it globally, and option
> > 1 would be just informative.
> >
> > For Cinterion modems, the profiles have been experimented with for a
> > few years, so old modems restart when a new profile is selected (for
> > example, the PLAS9-X).
> > Also, for all Cinterion modems supporting profile selection, they are
> > normally in automatic mode and the property is indeed read-only.  It
> > becomes writeable by changing the flag automatic/manual.
> >
> > I don't know exactly how other manufacturers work, but there are
> > chances that it is implemented in a similar way, because the profiles
> > were introduced by the chipset manufactures (initially) to deal with
> > the various VoLTE flavours.
> >

> I believe we're not talking about the same thing, maybe we chose the
> "profile" name poorly. The suggestion to manage the profiles in the
> merge request is to be able to manage the settings for the PDP
> contexts / EPS bearers stored in the modem. E.g. when you run
> AT+CGDCONT? you get the list of contexts/bearers settings reported by
> the module, that is what we would call "profiles" in the API. I don't
> think this is what you were referring to, right? Maybe we should
> choose a different name to avoid confusions.

I am not sure it is different.
If a MM "profile"  is a set of APN settings, to be set in the modem
one-by-one with eg. CGDCONT, it is different.
A modem "profile" is this (ie: a set of APN, including attach APN,
data APN, administrative APN, IMS apn, ...), plus additional settings
related to VoLTE (SIP/SDP format and datagrams), SMS handling (over
IMS, SGs, CSFG), audio codecs.
All these settings are applied at once, depending on the inserted SIM.
I know that Thales changes the required settings, and have heard that
Sierra selects a whole different image instead (like a different
virtual modem).  Not sure about the handling by other manufacturers.

BR,
Giacinto