Re-send in case it didn't get through (?) :-)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
To: Friedrich Strohmaier <damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de>
Cc: moderators@documentfoundation.org
Subject: Re: [tdf-moderators] reply-to mangling
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:30:08 +0100

Hi Friedrich,

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 23:25 +0200, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> Am 16.10.2011 09:51 schrieb Florian Effenberger:
> > Michael has been asking for quite a while already that we disable
> > the so-called reply-to mangling on our mailing lists.
>
> > Michael, maybe you can elaborate a bit on that and we see what the
> > moderators think, so we can maybe disable the function?
> I'm not Michael, nevertheless I'll answer :o)).

        Incidentally - did you not get my reply ? perhaps it is held up by
moderation on the moderators list: quis custodiet ipsos custodes
etc. ;-)

> The two main arguments are:
> - pro: You loose valuable contributions which go lost through beeing
>   sent private by simply answering to the recipient instead of the list.

        Grief; I make the opposite argument that by doing it, you simply loose
contributions altogether. Sending a contribution privately once and
getting gently reminded to CC the list, is just a normal community
interaction I think :-)

> - con: There is a hight risk to have private content published because
>   simple reply to the author is sent to the list without using the
>   dedicated means for that.

        So - that is (to me) not a primary 'con' - let me re-send my rational.

> I nevertheless support to do that change due to the above stated risk.

        Hey - thanks :-) if my mail had got through, you'd see I recommended it
only for clueful user lists eg. security, but perhaps not 'discuss'
though inconsistency is a pain too.

        HTH,

                Michael.

--