Harrumph, I wouldn't even bring this up since not only is it off topic and
not only is it a silly argument to debate the relative merits of banner
ads, but I must point out that the perl.org mailing lists, ftp.perl.org
*and* ftp.cpan.org are all hosted -- free of charge -- by ValueClick.

Perl has been good to this banner advertising network, and we like to
think we have been good stewards of Perl, also.

Nick

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Tom Christiansen wrote:

> Is there anyone on this mailing list who would be willing to volunteer
> to provide the world with a periodic summary of what major topics
> were discussed on this mailing list?  The idea is to follow in the
> footsteps of Mark-Jason Dominus's excellent p5p weekly summaries at
> http://www.perl.com/pub/q/archivep5p .
>
> While I've got your attention, I'm also looking for some highly-talented
> web programmers to help out on implementing some ideas to create dynamic
> content for the Perl website and for CPAN.
>
> If you can write good, clean prose, then please think about the first job,
> and if you are a hot web programmer, you might consider the second one.
> Both would be volunteer positions, but the results would be free for all
> to use, and would not contain banner ads.  These would earn you prestige
> in the Perl and Open Source communities.
>
> Please feel free to send me private mail if you're interested in either
> of these.
>
> thank you,
>
> --tom

Nick Tonkin