> sorry for offtopic

next time, use comp.lang.perl.misc

> silly question

no such thing

> friend of mine just learning perl has asking me what does
> 'string';  means. Perl seems just silently ignores this
> 'statement' No warning, no action. Is it a known feature ?

In perl and C, an expression can be a statement.  For example,
  b = c + d
is an expression since one can say
  a = (b = c + d)
but it can also be used as a statement.  Similarly,
  'string'
and
  e++
are expressions and therefore can be used in other expressions and as
standalone statements.

ELB

--
Eric L. Brine  |  Chicken: The egg's way of making more eggs.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  Do you always hit the nail on the thumb?